Invisalign Maintenance Guide
Congratulations: You have begun your Invisalign® teeth straightening journey! You are well on your way to a perfect, gleaming smile that you can be proud to show off.
Before we get there, you’ll need to care for your aligners properly to ensure they last your full treatment cycle. Taking these measures will help your Invisalign remain invisible, maintain their mold, and prevent bacteria from forming – which can damage your teeth and gums if left uncleaned!
How to Clean Invisalign
If left uncleaned, food particles and other bacteria can get into and stain your Invisalign aligners, worsening their color while also putting your dental health at risk. This is one reason why it’s crucial to keep up a regular oral care routine, brushing twice daily and flossing at least once per day.
Additionally, you should be regularly cleaning the aligners themselves. Rinsing them in water isn’t enough, and it is not advised to clean your trays with toothpaste as the chemical compounds in toothpaste are made for teeth, not aligners – those compounds can scratch or damage your trays. To clean your Invisalign, purchase Invisalign cleaning crystals either directly from Invisalign or through a third-party retailer (we have some recommendations!)
How to clean your Invisalign aligners using cleaning crystals:
- 1. Remove your aligners and rinse them with warm (NOT hot, and NOT cold) tap water.
- 2. Place the aligners in a cup or container filled with warm tap water (enough to completely submerge the trays).
- 3. Empty the contents of your cleaning crystals package and distribute them throughout the water.
- 4. Let the aligners sit in the solution for 15-20 minutes.
- 5. Remove the aligners from the solution and rinse with warm water. Reinsert the Invisalign trays over your teeth. Completely wash out the container that the solution was in.
How to Store Invisalign Trays
The only time you will not be wearing your Invisalign trays is when eating, drinking, or cleaning your teeth. When removing your aligners, it is recommended that you rinse them with water, dry them, and place in the case OR store them in a glass of lukewarm water (if you choose the latter option, be careful that you do not spill the water or wash the trays down the drain by mistake!)
Invisalign Treatment Tips
1. Avoid Hot Water: Rinsing your trays in hot water can, over time, damage their integrity by melting the mold, making your trays much less effective. You can wear your aligners while in the pool, shower, bathtub, hot tub, or sauna without any concern for damage – unless you are swallowing a lot of hot water.
2. Avoid Cold Water: Dousing your trays in cold water can also damage your trays over prolonged periods of time by causing the plastic material to contract, making it lose its shape (drinking cold water is OK!)
3. Don’t Eat or Drink While Wearing: The only time you should remove your Invisalign trays is when you are eating or drinking – with the exception of water (drink from a straw!) Food and beverages can dent, warp, or otherwise damage your aligners, thereby reducing their effectiveness.
4. Don’t Smoke While Wearing: If you are a smoker, it is crucial that you do not smoke while wearing your aligners. Schedule your smoke breaks around mealtimes since you will have your Invisalign trays out during those times anyway. Just remember to brush your teeth before putting your trays back over your teeth.
5. Don’t Miss a Tray Change: Make sure you attend your tray change appointments. These are crucial steps to meet if you want your treatment to be completed on time. Be cognizant of your schedule so you can get to these important checkups.
6. Lost Your Trays? Call Us: If you’ve lost your Invisalign trays, don’t panic! It happens. Be honest about your mistake and tell your dentist – we’ll get you back on track!
Oral Care With Invisalign
Haven’t started your Invisalign treatment yet? Get the process started with CNS Dental! We are an Invisalign Platinum Provider, meaning you’ll be in good hands over the course of your treatment! Check out the gallery of smiles we’ve helped shine with Invisalign treatment!