Tooth decay, also known as cavities or caries, is a breakdown of tooth enamel due to acids caused by an overgrowth of bacteria. These acidic bacteria get to work dissolving the enamel, and can cause sensitivity, white spots from de-calcification, and a feeling of embarrassment due to the physical appearance of the affected teeth.
In the past, there were not many options for fixing these issues outside of drilling into the damaged teeth. Drilling can often cause more harm than good, along with creating anxiety, and unnecessary pain for the patient.
Enter Icon by DMG. Introduced ten years ago, this procedure took the dental world by storm. Rather than painful and damaging drilling, DMG’s Icon treatment uses resin infiltration that “fills in” the white spots caused by cavities and creates a protective barrier to prevent further damage and sensitivity to the teeth. The minimally invasive, restorative treatment is done in one visit, with no drilling — and no pain.
How Icon Works
- The teeth are cleaned with a plain pumice
- A gel is applied 1-4 times which removes the outer remineralized layer of enamel that was previously blocking healing ions from absorbing into the teeth
- Ethanol is applied as a drying agent
- A resin infiltrant is applied and allowed to soak into the teeth for 3 minutes
- The teeth are light-cured to solidify the infiltration
- Resin infiltrant is applied a second time for 1 minute
- The teeth are rinsed with water to wash off the resin infiltrant
- A moderate polishing of teeth is done to remove any remaining materials
*Some of these steps may be repeated depending on the degree of severity.
Benefits of Icon:
- Minimally-invasive treatment
- Typically only takes 45-minutes to complete
- Long-lasting treatment option
- Preserves healthy tooth enamel and structure
- Less expensive than alternative procedures
- Lessens sensitivity and discoloration of the teeth
While there are over-the-counter whitening products available, ICON resin infiltration is considered a long term treatment option that will not add further harm to damaged teeth. Research has proven that this procedure can last for at least two years, with many patients showing stable results for even longer.
CNS Dental is proud to offer Icon Resin Infiltration to our patients. If you want to learn more about the benefits and methods of Icon to determine if it’s right for you, contact our office today!