As soon as our first tooth pops through as a kid, getting our first toothbrush is not far behind. We begin learning the importance of regular brushing and flossing for a great smile and overall oral health, but not a lot of time is spent on the most important component – choosing the right toothbrush.
Purpose of using a toothbrush
We all know we should brush our teeth twice a day, but why? The main reason for brushing is to remove plaque, the sticky, colorless or pale yellow film that is constantly forming on our teeth. If not removed regularly, plaque buildup can lead to tooth decay and gum disease.
While toothbrushes come in all shapes, colors and sizes, they fall into two main categories – electric and manual. Which one is best for keeping your teeth the cleanest?
Manual toothbrushes are easily accessible and affordable. You usually get one free after every dentist visit and they do not require power or batteries to operate.
While electric toothbrushes are more expensive than manual ones, their effectiveness can make it worth the investment.
Benefits of an electric toothbrush
- Plaque Removal: The quicker bristle speed can be more effective removing plaque – especially in hard to reach areas of the mouth.
- Ease of Use: Larger handles and motorized bristles are helpful if you have arthritis or other dexterity issues.
- Fun for Kids: Electric brushes can make brushing more fun and “less of a chore” for kids.
- Orthodontic help: Smaller brush heads help patients with braces clean around the brackets.
- Proper pressure: Electric brushes can help you apply the appropriate amount of pressure to your gums, so that you do not damage them. Too much pressure can expedite gum recession.
- All in Good Timing: Dentists recommend brushing for two minutes and many electric brushes come with timers to make it easy to track.
While both manual and electric toothbrushes are successful at cleaning teeth, electric brushes may ease the process, making plaque removal more effective.
Want to discuss which brush is right for you? Call us at 703-304-3881 or click here to schedule your next appointment!